Saturday, August 30, 2008

Butterfly girl


Saturday morning I woke up with an intense feeling of sheer happiness. The kind of happiness that comes from being snuggled deep in a yellow comforter and knowing that you have all the time in the world to sleep and write and read and drink hot cocoa. The happiness born only of time available to debate actually waking up. We had a girl's night last night. It was great. We all jammed on to a bed and watched Walk Across Egypt, (highly recommend it-very good.) We bought popcorn from the cafe and ordered hot drinks and rented tons of DVDs from the ship library. It was nice really. I think we've all had a kind of intense few days..just as far as being really busy. I think we really started to feel like sisters this week-no not in the fighting bickering way-but in the supportive way.
It has been one of those golden days, when you just feel right. We all had lunch and then sat out on the dock just talking. I fell asleep feeling the wonderfully warm pavement on my back and the sun warming my face. Snatches of their conversation drifted in and out of my awareness like the the waves and the blue sky and the birds. When I finally sat up my eyes were all blurry and everything seemed very bright.
Alice left today. It was actually a day late, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because yesterday seemed kind of crazy. Thank you for dealing with my venting during the last post. I'll miss her. She always was very quiet but was deep into God's word. She had at least 3 different translations of the Bible and I would find sheets filled with passages, the verses highlighted in different colors. It really inspired me to seek out God's will in His word, like it's some kind of treasure map, to be worked and poured over day and night.
Today I went to Benjeh (?) town. After a long time of bouncing around the metal back of one of the Mercy Ships land rovers, we finally reached our destination. It is so strange being out so far..I was almost surprised to see this village. Sarah was visiting her namesake there. This little girl had been named after her and remained in her arms most of the time As soon as we stepped out of the truck the children swarmed around us. They all fight to hold my hand and some are simply content to trap me their, their tiny arms around my waist, their heads resting against me. It is so precious. We went to church there. It was good, but it was the first time I had actually sat with the children. There was allot of dancing and singing. I felt kind of bad, because it was the children around me kept whispering to each other and asking my name. Their parents would then get mad and make huge "TSHHHH"-ing noises at them. After church I got to meet more children. One of the precious little girls had butterflies on her shirt and I pointed to them and then pointed to the butterfly clips in my hair and then drew a butterfly in the sand. Within no time they were all huddled in a circle taking turns drawing houses and cars and airplanes and then we were all spelling each others names and writing down ages and grades etc. It was so sweet. We played this game where they'd say an African name and then I'd have to guess how it was spelled. My roommates all know me as the butterfly girl.. They like the butterfly clips and socks and they've promised to tell me if they see any butterfly material in the market-I've seen dresses made out of it, but haven't actually seen where they sell the fabric. Mom, I don't know if you remember but there was this one time when you called me your butterfly girl. And as your butterfly girl, I sign off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Honey, I don't remember that, but it is a fitting discription. Flitting here and there, rejoicing in the beauty around them and using the nectar of that beauty to sustain them. You're a joy. - Mom