Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I love the rain

I will love the rain. As if a sheer act of will could possibly lift this lead cloud. This impenetrable black board or should I say whiteboard of sky that threatens to suffocate my very existence. This merciless weather that laughs as it as it pounds out all color blending everything into a gentle grey. The kind of gentle that gets just enough on my nerves to feel like Chinese water torture. No amount of pleading with myself will lift the greyness that is slowly seeping in.

Yesterday I ate for the first time at an African restaurant. About the size of a bedroom with space for sun to come in between the thatched walls and the roof. I loved it. The hot rice and spicey palm nut sauce. It was delicious. I could feel my whole mouth burning as I ate it. I liked it because I was eating a meal off the ship and it made me feel so wonderfully rebellious. Besides fact that I was with two of my roomates that have been in Africa before and are quite well versed in the African lifestyles and what is safe to consume.
After that, we went to the malnutrition center again. Time passes so quickly there. When the children were done inspecting my hair and skin the mothers would hand off their tiny babies for me to hold. These little black hands rapped around my fingers and I would just stand their swaying gently afraid even to breath lest the sweetness of the moment be somehow inevitably broken. I could tell that some of them hadn't been there very long. I could still feel tiny ribs and fragile skin that hung loosely off their bodies. Some of the children would be afraid. And for good reason, it must be terrifying to see a human being of a different color for the first time in one's life-and white at that-were there more? purple and green? :) The shy ones would giggle and peek from doorways and chase eachother around in front of me.
Today was my second day in training. yesterday I spent most of it wondering why on earth I was there. They showed some movies, but non of it was very informative. However, today I felt like I was actually getting some information, if not an overload. They talked of how to stay healthy on the ship-good coping methods, and bad coping methods. Dealing with conflict. Safety procedures and international laws the ship is supposed to follow, crew pharmacy and safety drills on board the ship. I actually really enjoyed it. Yes, I was very stiff after several hours of sitting, but in a way it was soothing even if I didn't soak up all the information. I was thuroughly convinced of the safety of the ship as well as the fact that people are here to listen to and help crew members.

I am sitting here at the computer and suddenly everything seems very loud. Someone shaking their knee impatiently. Someone humming the same tune over and over. The sound of the engine. The sound of the Olympics going on in some screen in one of the adjacent lounges. People laughing by the ship shop downstairs. The sound of the machine they use to make the hot drinks. The occasional click of the mouse. I think it's the rain getting to me.

OK I might as well face it. I am Corina Gochenaur and I am a chocoholic and I do NOT love the rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rene, I'm glad you are getting to experience (taste) african culture with some seasoned veterans. I see some blue sky; maybe its heading your way. Dad