Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Water Side Market

Yesterday was absolutely amazing. I got to sleep in till 10:00am. Had a leasurely quiet time over toast and tea and then Sarah and I went to Water Side Market. It was so different compared to Dwahla market. We were able to get a lift to the market. Sometimes it's nice not riding in a taxi because the people that stop are usually well-off business men and the cars are cleaner. But you have to be wary because you don't know that they're going to stop where they say they will. The taxi drivers have to; otherewise they'd have a car full of angry people. Sarah said she felt more secure after more people had been picked up. Water Side actually has concrete buildilngs instead of just makeshift syhacks and wheelbarrows and tables set up on the road. Allot of the shops there were actually run by Lebanese men. And they had allot more variety. I got Christmas presents for Jordan and Kaytlin. :) That is if I don't get too excited and send them before hand. And I have an idea for Dad, and Mom and Hannah. I suppose it is rather early to be shopping for Christmas presents, but sometimes it's just one of those things where I see something and I know that I right then and there otherwise I wont be able to find it again. I also got two lapas, or four yards of materials for a shirt and skirt. I'm hoping to go back to several of the shops. The tailors here are amazing. They're really good at making clothes just from a simple drawing or description; A-line skirts and tighter skirts that flair out below the knees and beautiful shirts and blouses. And then allot of people have these cute capri/shorts that the tailor can make from scraps of material. I really enjoyed Water Side because I actually had money to get things. And I was seeing stuff that would actually be of use in America. It's sometimes hard to find stuff that is handmade and of Africa, but also good to use when I get home.

As usual, it took hardly any time at all to become hot, sweaty and sticky, but it was fun. Plus, it's the cool season for Liberia, so there generally more rain and wind. I don't think I've ever appreciated a breeze so much in my life. It was nice just taking our time and chatting. Sarah showed me several of the shops she had visited before and she got this beautiful hanging basket and several plain colored lapas from one material shop. I'd like to go bakc there, it's hard to find plain fabrics. She also introduced me to to her friend Comfort who sells material. She was lovely.

While we were waiting to meet Comfort, I got my first marriage proposal. I suppose I should have been more prepared. It was rather comical. His name was Prince and he was probably twenty-something. Of course, the usually enthusiastic Liberian handshakes that end in a kind of finger "click" go all around. He asked where I was from, if I lived with my family ect. He kept saying he loved my name and I kept say that so did my mother and father. And then as if it was entirely common place he simply asked me to take him to New York.

"You take me to New York and we get married."

"No I don't think so."

"Yes, yes, you take me to New York. OK? OK."

Well I gave the usual list of reasons to say no:
My father would not be happy
too expensive
I need to go to university
What if I want to stay in Liberia

In retrospect it was rather comical, but I was very relieved once the whole bizzar ordeal was over. It's one of those things that only happens in Africa and you just have to grin and mover on.
By the time we were nearing the Mercy Ships port, we were both exhausted and ready to stop and take a break. Did you know they actually sell ice cream in Liberia? Yep, we stopped and bought ice cream. They sell it in these square metal carts and then use these ity-bitty cones. It was like it was too cold for my mouth. I could hardly even taste the flavor in the sheer heavenliness of the coldness.
And then we stopped at the Love restaurant and had the Liberian soda. They sell it in these 50's looking glass bottles, except they're taller and thinner. We also had some of the water sold in bags. I still feel rebellious when I eat in these restaurants. We had Rice with palm oil, as usual and some kind of mystery meat, which I avoided, as usual.
And then we went back to the ship and I am still so excited about Jordan and Kaytlin's presents.
Adios for now!

Keep in touch.

No comments: