Sunday, November 23, 2008

Bonjeh town Christmas

Let's see..last week: We had off Monday and Tuesday and went to Water Side one of those days. That's the big market with cloth and clothing and carvings and leather stuff sold in actual concrete buildings mostly run by the Lebanese.

We worked last Wednesday. And then switched with the other team so we could go to the Christmas service at Bonjeh town and then we would work their Friday. The Christmas service was cool. Although frankly it wasn't very Christmas-y. We're clebrating it early since the ship leaves early December. It was as humid and warm as ever. We talked and played with the children as usual and there was a precious four month old baby there. And then with much jostling and help from the two Liberian crew guys that Sherry brought along the children were finally all lined up to receive cookies and juice with a little baggy with plastic jewelry and candy. My personal favorite part was after the whole giving out stuff.

The last time I went to Bonjeh town, William, the 15 year old boy that I've become friends with tried to teach me how to play the drums. Of course, I failed miserably, but he and some friends started playing the drums and came up with a fun rhythm. Actually all the little boys know how to play the drums...probably better then some of the American professionals. Anyway, me and the little girls danced.
And this time the girls asked if I would dance with them again. Vaguely embarrassed I consented...and before we knew it everyone was dancing...including the older women who had joined us. It was very fun.

I'm reading this book called RE-entry. It's basically about leaving missions and not leaving bitter or coming home and becoming bitter because people don't understand the full impact it has had on your life. I'm loving it. I know I'm' not actually leaving the ship until January, but I figure since I've made relationships with the Liberian people, and we are leaving Liberia...it would be a good time to read it. So I felt like the Bonjeh town Christmas service was a good time to say goodbye to all the children that remembered my name and drew butterflies in the sand with me and wrote there names on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget them. And I wont. It was a good kind of closure. I've made a list of all the places I want to visit and the gifts I want to buy before I go. So my next few weekends are going to be full.

And then we went to the Jesus Film. They show it every week more than once a week in different villages. In their own language. People suddenly feel like it's really for them. They all speak English since that's how all the tribes communicate to each other...but it isn't really personal if it's not in their mother tongue. The children came first. I was in the middle of caking myself with bug spray when I felt a timid touch against my arm and there they all were..eager to hold my hand and sit in my lap. Even though we couldn't understand the film. It was good watching their reactions...by the end one little girl had fallen asleep in my lap. We were sitting on the gravel in front of the huge outdoor screen and my legs were numb...but it was worth going.

Wow, sometimes I forget how much I'm writing...sorry. There's another novel.

Luv y'all!

Corina

No comments: